Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Science Experiment: Make Oobleck With the Kids!

This winter has been a hard one here in Michigan.
Today was another snow day, after lovely preview of spring weather!
To keep from going crazy, the kids made Oobleck.
I haven't made this stuff since I was a kid... I had as much fun with it as they did! :)

Oobleck:

1/2 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup water

Mix them up in a bowl, and have fun!
It is so neat how it acts like a liquid when poured, yet you can still pick it up! 

I had the kids wear their aprons to keep their clothes clean.
We just scraped it off the counter and into the garbage, and then used water to wipe up the rest when we were done. The bits that fell on the floor swept right up. Pretty easy cleanup!
(Waaay easier than elephant toothpaste clean up!) 

This stuff matches the fresh snow in our yard...
Lets all get out our rain boots and do a spring dance, k?

Thanks for stopping by! :)
Sylv

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to do this with my kids!
    I saw a teacher use this once in her classroom to have the kids play with and then come up with a list of adjectives to describe Oobleck. Because it is both solid and liquid and feels really crazy, they had a lot of different words on their list.
    THEN! they arranged the words in a table and counted the frequency of how many times each adjective was included on someone's list.
    Who knew? with Oobleck you can hit Science, English, and Math all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea! I'll have to make it again soon, and have the kids describe it for me. :) Thanks for stopping by, and taking the time to comment.

      Delete

Leave a lil love, it makes my day! :)